Friday, June 11, 2010

proud to be an American

Sweet Friends, With Memorial Day having just past & the 4th of July right around the corner, I wanted to start getting into the spirit of things here at home, on my blog & at my shop. I am one of those patriotic Americans that gets teary eyed sitting at a baseball field, looking & smelling the beyond green grass, on a lovely summer evening, singing the National Anthem. I mean...it's 'Field of Dreams', who doesn't right?

I get goosebumps walking through Washington DC, standing amid the history that this Nation was founded on. Staring up at the Lincoln & Jefferson Memorials, feeling so small among giants. Thinking back to the bravery of our colonial Father's, imagining that our new, little Nation could ever defeat a world dominating force like England...& yet we did.

A nation that was willing to war brother against brother to right the wrongs that had long gone unacknowledged about what the true meaning of "all men are created equal" infers. Having been fortunate enough to have stood in the battlefields of Gettysburg & in the exact place where Abraham Lincoln gave his amazing Gettysburg Address, I am in awe of this place I call home.

Being an American, I have the luxury to call home my California coastline to my Brother's Baltimore, MD harbor & all destinations in between. My home is big & beautiful & diverse. It has oceans & deserts, islands & redwoods, prairies & majestic mountains. It's so big it has places I've seen, places I wish to see & places I will sadly never get a chance to see.

So, here's some fun vintage images for you to create with and let's get out our red, white & blue & celebrate a nation that's not perfect, but is always trying to remedy that flaw & I will remind myself again of the wonderful words spoken in a Pennsylvania field in 1863. I think I'm going to town & buy a fresh new flag to fly today! Hugs Friends...

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Abraham Lincoln

14 comments:

Beach House Living said...

Great old images and a well done post. I was brought up in a very flag waving family and respect for the flag. Thank you!

Charlene said...

Oh SWEET Suzie I am sooooooooooo with you on the patriotic issue! Hearing the Star Spangled Banner brings tears to my eyes. And I love to see our beautiful Flag wave in the breeze! I am so sad to see where we are today. Oh how our world has changed. But, all a person needs to do is LEAVE this land to see that IT IS THE BEST PLACE TO CALL HOME! As my sweet husband said after being in Vietnam... "it's always better to fight them on their soil than on our". LET FREEDOM RING! Thanks for sharing those amazing images too. I LOVE THEM! Charlene

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

The sight of the flag, the sound of our Nat'l Anthem or any of a number patriotic songs, marching soldiers, a sharp dressed Marine, a dirty tired hero in a uniform, looking out over any one of the Nat'l cemeteries I've been to, seeing anyone waving the flag with pride are all tear inducing, pride swelling, heart pounding moments and feelings for me...thanks for a terrific post.

Andrea said...

Susie I agree with you! Thanks for making us all think about patriotism and what our country means to us!!

Susan HP said...

What a beautiful blog you have here! The vintage images are just lovely!
I, too, would love to see all its majesty, from east to west. Perhaps, one day...

Kristal said...

What a wonderful post. And thanks for sharing the images...I'm hoping to make some fun things with my son for the upcoming Holiday! He will love them!

Cindy said...

Susie, just love this wonderful, patriotic post! Your new banner is so fitting and I absolutely adore that sweet little girl in the image, "Miss Walter"....just look at those chubby legs. I always enjoy visiting your blog! Congrats on your 200 PLUS followers!

Stacy said...

Lovely vintage images! Some day I want to see Washington D.C. and soak up all that history. We do live in a magnificent place. Hope you are enjoying your Sunday, Susie.

I like your song choice.

Attic Rat said...

♫ ♪ My country tis of thee,♪ ♫
♪ ♫ sweet land of liberty ♫ ♪

God bless America,
Teresa

Unknown said...

Awesome, Susie!!! And thanks for the sweet images! Can't wait to see you!
love, lynn

Creations By Cindy said...

Love your post and the images are all so sweet. Be blessed. Cindy

Suz said...

Suzie,
That was a lovely post. It did make me pause and think.
Thank you!
Hugs,
Suz

Lucy - By the Hill said...

Another so well put post! Your 4th and our (Canadian) 1st (Canada Day) is coming up quickly.
We are lucky, both of us, to live in such wonderful countries as these.
Love your banner......you always bring the children into your digi work, and with such lovely results!

Alice said...

What a sweet post! I, too, get goose bumps and teary-eyed at seeing our flag carried high during a parade, or experiencing the grandeur of the this great country. Recently, I've enjoyed watching the series America, The Story of Us. It reminds us of how much our forefathers sacrificed for us, and how we are not afraid to right a wrong, or find a cure, or begin anew.

See, I'm getting goose bumps now.